Press "Enter" to skip to content

Retirement; When, why, and how is it possible?

It happens every day, fresh retirees needing to get back into the workplace; a problem the older generation and more to come are facing.

Are people able to live a fulfilled retired life without working? Many newly retired people face the hardships retirement throws at them.

Is retirement really as easy as people make it out to be? Or is it something many can’t survive on? Even with expenses covered, many older people find themselves craving a work environment.

Russell Twigg sits at the kitchen table; sipping his coffee, steam rising off the mug. He analyzes his resumé, hoping for new job opportunities. 

Twigg, 72, isn’t a typical retiree; he didn’t “live [his] life to retire,” Twigg said. He doesn’t take a liking to the non-working life. “I always thought I would have something else to do,” he said when asked about his opinion on retirement.

Many people find retirement to be a large change; especially when they have been working most of their lives. 

Jeanne and Russel Twigg review resumés and go over spending. After retirement, they have been searching for jobs, and in the meantime, they said they have been more cautious of how they use their money.

Russell Twigg has a family of six, “[Russell and his wife, Jeanne Twigg] were very active with everything [their children] were involved in,” Russell said.

Many retirees are surprised by the change of not working, one thing that surprised Twigg was, “The amount of time that you have to do what you really want to do, and for me, I have to keep moving all the time.”

Twigg is still looking for jobs, “I’m looking for the right opportunities, and by putting my resumé out I hope somebody will find my skills attractive,” he said. Due to the lifestyle he lives, working is not only a personal choice but a “necessary” one.

Tamara Phillips, 62, is reaching retirement age and preparing for the next stage in her older life.

“It’s weird, all the things you have to think about, that my parents didn’t think about when they retired,” said Phillips.

Many people in their younger years aren’t prepared for the changes they face when reaching retirement age.

“I didn’t think about retirement in my early 20s and 30s; I just supported my family,” said Phillips. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the financial liberties to be comfortable by the time they retire. 

“Some people don’t get pensions, the only reason I have one is because I started working for the county,” said Phillips.

Even with the prospects of a pension and social security, Phillips is currently working two jobs “to pay down debt.” 

“I was tired,” said Miss Michelle Hopkins when referring to the time she retired from Montoursville Area High School as an English teacher.

Hopkins reflects on some of her last years of teaching and the stress that comes with having “As many as 100 essays to grade,” in a short period of time.

After retiring Miss Hopkins was surprised by “All the free time, that I felt needed to be filled,” she said. After a year of retirement, Hopkins decided to start substitute teaching.

Miss Michelle Hopkins shows her dedication as a volunteer at LAPS. Throughout her retirement, she has committed her time to help cats in need.

“Financially I did not need a job, but to be of use and serve a purpose I did,” said Hopkins.

To fill her time between substitute teaching she “Spends a lot of time helping at LAPS,” the Lycoming Animal Protection Society.

She describes her duties at LAPS, such as cleaning as many as nine rooms, housing cats waiting for adoption, as well as vet runs.

To help the LAPS community even more she fosters cats awaiting a permanent home.

“I leave there fulfilled with what I’ve done,” said Hopkins.

Some of the challenges that she has to face heading back into the teaching profession are, “Teaching now is more of a challenge because of cell phones,” said Hopkins. “It’s harder to engage with students and keep their attention.”

Even with these challenges, “I do enjoy retirement because of the freedom to use my time as I wish.”

Hopkins said she had a need for retirement but still enjoys the work environment and the ability to control what she does with her time, like volunteering and giving back to her community. 

Retirement Statistics

• Protected Lifetime Income.org says approximately 4.1 million people will retire in 2024.
  • Around 20% of Americans have ended their retirement, returning to a full-time or part-time job, as reported by a study by global investment management firm T. Rowe Price. 
  • As reported by U.S. Census Bureau data, 47% of men and 50% of women, ages 55-66 have no savings for retirement.

Featured Image (above): Tamara Phillips works her part-time job assisting in checking out customers. Over weekends she uses her extra time to work at Gaint Food Stores, hoping to use extra money for her upcoming retirement. 

Translate »