Press "Enter" to skip to content

Cheerleaders Take Home the Medal at Districts

On March 20th the varsity cheer squad took the mat at Shamokin Area High School, to compete for a district championship. Senior Jolee Sherwood said, “Most of us thought it would be the end of the road after we competed but when we won I felt an overwhelming amount of emotions.” 

The cheerleader competed in the large division which requires eighteen girls at least, the squad has nineteen. They competed against Mount Carmel and Shamokin High School, who both have much larger teams. 

Although the cheerleaders won districts in their division, it did not give them a bid to states. This year the competition took the top two scores in PIAA division and the top score in PIAAA division. So the squad placed in the top two in the PIAA division and are on their way to states on April 10th.

Freshman Ericka Shaffer said, “I felt like we got what we have been working so hard for. Since I am a freshman it felt like a huge accomplishment and is an experience I will never forget.”

Sherwood said, “After the challenges we faced this year it only made us stronger. Honestly when we came back from online school and started putting our routine together the team changed so much. Practices became fun and the energy on the team was just so positive. The night before districts we even had a dance party after we hit our routine at practice.”

Junior Alaina Leisenring was asked about how she felt at districts and she said, “Unbelievable, I seriously thought that they were calling us for third place. I was beyond ecstatic that we actually won.”

The 2020-2021 cheer squad is the first team from Montoursville to win the Competitive Spirit Districts Championship. In the most difficult and crazy year the team accomplished what they have been chasing after for five years.

Now they are practicing to perfect their routine before states. They had three weeks to practice before going to Hershey to compete. Sherwood said, “I am so happy to finally have a chance to experience states, especially during my senior year. I think we are ready to go and have a great end to the season.”

The cheerleading team poses for a picture moments after winning districts.

Translate »