CHANGES at McCall
We are pleased to announce several changes for the 2017-18 school year at C.E. McCall Middle School.
- 5th and 6th Graders will have recess as part of their lunch period. Students will not go out in the event of inclement weather or below 40 degrees F. We are in the process of securing some yard type games for recess.
- 7th and 8th Graders will finish their day with STEAM. STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math. This will be a great way to stimulate creative thinking in mini courses related to those subject areas. Music classes will fall into this period as well.
- Alternating courses have been eliminated for 7th and 8th Grade. We will provide an additional day of Physical Education, FCS(if selected), and IA(if selected).
- Schoology will be used by all teachers to communicate about their classes. Make sure you sign-up and receive your class codes from your child’s teachers.
- ParentLink will be used to communicate about events and attendance at the middle school. Please make sure you sign up for alerts at https://montoursville.parentlink.net/.
- IXL has replaced Study Island as an enrichment and support program for students. We are excited about the diagnostic tools that will allow us to further reinforce concepts in both mathematics and language arts.
- We are exploring dual-enrollment opportunities with Montoursville Area High School. This will be an opportunity to award high school credit for classes taken at the middle school. The first 2 areas this will happen in are Spanish I and Advanced Algebra. Students will receive 1 Credit for Spanish I and Algebra I at the high school for these 2 courses. We will be looking at other opportunities as the year progresses.
- Builders Club is coming to McCall. Builders Club is a middle school club sponsored by the High School Key Club and Kiwanis. It is a service organization which focuses on service, leadership, and character. Watch for more information.
We see these changes as a step forward in making your child’s school year a success and more enjoyable. We also see it as a way to help better prepare students for the challenges and opportunities at Montoursville Area High School. We look forward to the coming school year and the many changes at C.E. McCall Middle School.